Monday, August 17, 2009

Is Summer Really Over?

Today Eric started 8th grade. He's growing up! I can't believe summer is really over - for him, anyway. Troy & Jason still have three more weeks. UGH!
We went to breakfast at Carl's Jr and visited. We talked about school and that he's a big 8th grader now. Our conversation turned into how it's hard to have to pass gas in class when there's a hot chick next to you, and how to keep it quiet. Classy. Boys crack me up. The boys hate that I make them take their picture the morning of their first day. He was a good sport, though.
Eric is really a thoughtful boy. I know this year will be a big turning point in his life as he matures. I will really miss him being around all day. He was the only one I could ever convince to do anything with me. As long as I promised him food, he'd go shopping or anywhere I wanted.
My favorite day of the whole summer was spending the day at the beach with him. It was just the two of us. I was shocked that he would even be seen with me. We spent 2 hours in the water boogie boarding and body surfing. I packed a lunch and we sat on the blanket to eat. I told him to go rinse off because he was all sandy. I was watching him rinse off in the water as in front of my eyes there was a seagull carrying a baggy with a sandwich in it. I looked next to me and Eric's sandwich was gone. I started chasing the seagull and then I realized I had a bag of grapes on the blanket. I ran back to put the grapes in the cooler, and then back to find the seagull thief. He was gone. It really was hysterical seeing that seagull with the baggie. Everyone on the beach was cracking up. We ate our grapes and I drove him through Arby's on the way home. He was very happy then.
Thanks for being such a good kid, Eric. I will truly miss you every day.


4 comments:

Prescott family said...

Boo hoo.... I'm not ready for summer to be over!! Noah wanted to go to Grandma & Grandpa's before school to get a protein shake... ha ha - guess both Eric & Noah got a little something special before school today!

Rob n Katie' said...

Eric is a sweet boy, He must get that from someone, hehehehe. What a great way to start the school year.

The McNeil Family said...

What a sweet kid. Good luck to him in school.

Candi said...

That beach story was so funny! I was laughing so hard that my eyes are still watering and it is hard for me to read what I am typing! :) I can just picture you chasing after that bird to get your sandwhich back:) Too funny!