Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Bitter-Sweet!



For those of you who have sons younger than 19 - you won't truly understand this post until one of your sons turns in his mission papers. I am warning you now, prepare yourself for feelings & emotions you never even knew existed. Today we dropped Zak off at the airport to leave for 2 years to serve the Lord. We couldn't be more proud, but at the same moment sad to see him go. In the last 2 years Zak has become not only my son but one of my closest friends. He called me daily at work to see how my day was going, he'd drop by unexpected to take me out to lunch, he'd ask permission to go out & was always thoughtful of my feelings. Never in a million years did I think the kid that threw temper tantrums as a toddler & cried everyday on the way to Kindergarten would grow up to be such a kind, thoughtful young man. It's really too bad that Heavenly Father doesn't want boys to serve missions when they are 15 instead of 19 - It probably wouldn't be so bitter to let him go. I have been comforted by the spirit & know that he will be watched over while he is gone. I know that he is where he needs to be & I also know that as time progresses the missing him part will get easier. I really don't know what I did to deserve a kid like him!! I love you Zak! I am so proud of you, I can't even begin to express how much.
Before Zak left, he was able to help teach & baptize his girlfriend Merissa. It has been such an exciting time to see him grow as a missionary even before he left for his mission.

I just got confirmation that our most prize possession has been delivered to the MTC safely & is now in the hands of the Lord to be molded into the man he is yet to become!!

7 comments:

The McNeil Family said...

That is so bitter sweet. I haven't done this before. But with my brother is has truly molded them to be wonderful Men. I wish you the best with this through this holidays. Thinking of you and your family.

Carranza's said...

We are soo proud of Zak and know he will be a great servant of the lord. And I know you will be blessed tremendouly through his service. Thinking of you and wish you the best.

Dee Dee said...

I have felt emotional throughout the day thinking about him. We are so proud of him, but yet will miss him so much. You're right, though. I could send out SOMEBODY tomorrow!!!!

Unknown said...

That is SO great Andrea! How wonderful! I am excited for Tyler to go on his mission in 12 years :) We just had our Bishop's son leave for the MTC a few weeks ago. He is going to Colorado.

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

You should be very proud. Zak has turned into a fine young man. And he will come back from his mission even better. I'm proud of him & I'm only his aunt. I can't imagine the emotions you are feeling. Can't wait to see you guys again right after Christmas. But it will be wierd not seeing Zak for 2 years. Let's hope they fly by.

Sarah said...

As I drove by the MTC Wed, as I do each day to go to my kids' school, I wondered when he was going in. I saw a girl hugging her brother goodbye outside, and I always get teary eyed. He will do well, and the time will fly by for you Andrea! What a wonderful son you have :)

Penhallegon Family said...

If he ever needs anything here in Michigan you let me know and we will make it happen. I can only hope he will serve in our ward.