Monday, January 30, 2012

10 Months

Last week we received a memory card from Troy.  It always lifts my spirits when I get to see pictures of him.  Lately he's had a few struggles and he's been venting a little bit more.  Not complaining, just telling us about the not so perfect life he's living.  Tonga really is a different world.  Life here is so fast paced and I think that's part of his challenge to acclamate to his new lfestyle.  I also think that Christmas was hard for him.  That seems to be when he started telling the little events that get to him.  But looking at his pictures makes me so happy.  Because he looks happy.  One of the comments on the slideshow said, "I know it is not always this wonderful, but this is the way he will remember it! He looks great! What an experience!"  He does look great!  He will remember the wonderful times with great fondness, and hopefully the not so wonderful times he won't remember much at all.  I can't believe he's been gone for 10 months, but then again, it seems like a lifetime ago he left.  I really miss that kid.  (BTW, if you want to see the slideshow, click on Troy's Blog on the right.)

Becky gave a talk in church at stake conference and talked about Hannah giving her son to the Lord.  She likened it to how a mother must feel when she sends her son on a mission.  It was funny, because when Troy left, I wrote one of those sappy letters to him, and said the same exact thing!  I felt like Hannah, but lucky me, I only have to give him up for 2 years!  I will never regret teaching my children that this is what they're supposed to do.  Because I know this will mold them into better men, husbands, fathers, and church leaders.  I also hope that I send another one out in the next few months.  Not having him go will be harder than having him gone, because I know if he chooses not to go, he will regret it for the rest of his life.  He will miss those powerful experiences that a young man serving God completely for two years will only be blessed with.  As Troy recently wrote, "I will never regret my decision to go on a mission".  That's a great thing to hear, even when life isn't perfect.  But look at his face.  He truly is happy.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Loved looking at the pictures Dee Dee! He looks like he is doing well.

Prescott family said...

I couldn't agree more! Zak said that his mission wasn't the best 2 years of his life, but the best 2 years FOR his life. I think that puts it into perspective.
I sure hope we both have more missionaries! I will be so sad if it stops with Troy & Zak.

Unknown said...

I think the not-so-positive experiences would be great to remember. Sometimes, when I'm in a new place or confronted with something I've never done before, I remember the times when I've had the same feeling - when things weren't as great and know I got through it just fine so I can do it again.

Thanks for keeping everyone updated, Dee Dee. Love, Troy, Jason and Erics' FAC (that's internet speak for Favorite Aunt Charlene)

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Wow! I can't believe it has already been 10 months. You should be a proud mama. And Troy should be proud he made the right decision. I hope that the rest of your boys follow in his footsteps.