Monday, December 3, 2012

A letter to the birthday boy

Dear Simon,
Yesterday was your 18th birthday & I can't believe you are already that old. It seems like I blinked & you are now grown. You were by far the easiest baby of all my boys which was such a relief to me as I went from having 2 sons to 3. I did worry about that transition but you made it so much easier with your happy, easy going disposition - even as a baby. As a small child you were such a comedian & always wanted to make us laugh. You found great joy in making us happy. I can still remember the funny faces & silly words you'd do & say, they bring a smile to my face even now.

I know being the third son in a family of 4 boys can not always be easy. But you have handled it as always, with your usual self assurance & ease. You really do have the best of both worlds as you are a younger & older brother. I'm so thankful that you & your brothers all finally get along. I love to watch you all interact, joke & hang out together. It has made us so proud to watch you all develop your different talents & thankful that you all enjoy doing them together (skateboarding, music, church, etc). You may not realize how lucky you are to have the bond that you have with your brothers but you are! I only hope that as you all grow older you all stay close and cherish & nurture those relationships.

I look forward to your future - as anything is possible if you put your mind & energy into it. You are a hard worker especially when you are doing something you love. Thank you for all the times you help your dad with projects around the house. He knows that if there is a job to be done, he can count on you to follow through. We both appreciate that! Your dad & I only want the best for you & hope that you continue to make good choices - as your choices now will really shape the kind of life you have as an adult.

It will be fun to sit back when we are old (I know you think we are old now! But I mean really old, like great grandma & grandpa old) & reflect on all the accomplishments of your life. I know you are capable of great things, I can't wait to see it all unfold. I love you son, thanks for picking me to be your mom. I'm thankful for the young man you are growing up to be. I am thankful that you are loving & caring, thoughtful & kind. Keep it up!

1 comment:

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

That was beautiful Andrea. And happy belated birthday to Simon. Welcome to adulthood.