Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas


Since our family doesn't get to all be together often during the year, I had in mind that this moment would be our Christmas card to our friends and family.  Yep, I totally lagged this year and didn't do a thing.  No baking or cards, and I LOVE Christmas cards!  Every time a Christmas card would come in the mail I would get so excited, then think of how lame I was being.  Maybe recipients of cards don't feel the same way I do about them, but that's ok.
 
This year has definitely had its ups and downs.  But I am thankful that above all, I've had some serious time to reflect and realize that life is what we make it.  We can serve others and become more Christlike in the meantime. And these 4 guys in the picture above are my world.  We are so close and have such a great relationship with each other.  They all make me so proud and are each extraordinary in their own way.
 
We were able to speak with Elder Prescott for quite awhile and he is truly happy.  He has had an exciting week with Elder Groberg - (Kolipoki) that the movie "The Other Side of Heaven" is about  -  coming to visit them.  He spoke to them, then shook their hands and visited with all of the elders.  The missionaries got to meet his wife, children and grandchildren.  That was a highlight of his whole mission. 

Troy also spoke about how we in America take things for granted.  They go to meals at members' homes and their dinner is often noodles made outside on a pot over the fire because there is not electricity or running water.  Some of the members are so poor, and then try to help the missionaries by giving them money.  The thing is that these people would gladly give all, when they have nothing themselves.  And they are happy people, not feeling a bit sad for what they don't have, but rejoicing in what they do.
 
Three months from today our elder will come home.  I will be forever grateful that we have had the opportunity to share just a tiny bit of Troy's mission.  That boy has grown into a fine young man.  He has a great head on his shoulders and his testimony has been strengthened.  And he is grateful.  Grateful for what he has learned, the experiences he has had, the friendships he has made, and the increased love that he has for his Savior.  Best present ever!
 
Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Prescott family said...

I love this post!! Can't believe that Troy will be home in 3 months... I hope the time has gone by as fast for you as it has for me. I didn't realize he got to meet Elder Groberg! So cool. Can't wait to see Elder Prescott in person.
You have every reason to be one proud mama!!!