Monday, January 12, 2009

Troy's First Baptism

In our ward they try to have the Priests do baptisms. It's been a great experience for all the boys who have done them. Troy was asked to baptize these two boys, Elijah and Tyler. The baptism was at 5:30pm.
The conflict - the boys have seminary on Sunday nights @ 6pm now to replace Monday seminary. Long story short: School starts at 9:30 on Mondays, and the kids don't want to go to seminary at 6am.
So, we were at the baptism. It was 5:47 and opening song was just getting started. I rushed Jason off to seminary at the SV Bldg thinking there would be plenty of time with 2 talks, and two baptisms before Troy did his. WRONG. As I was returning, the mission president and his wife were leaving. They said, "Your son did a great job". I got back inside for closing remarks, song and prayer. I MISSED IT! I was pretty bummed. I asked Troy how he felt, if he was nervous or felt the spirit, or what. He said "Both". (Teenagers don't talk that much - at least to parents!!) So I took Troy and off we rushed back to the SV Bldg so he could get credit for being at seminary, even if it was only 25 minutes. I sat it the car and waited for them, and was a little sad, but thankful that my son was worthy to perform this sacred ordinance.

8 comments:

Prescott family said...

That is so cool that Troy was able to do that!! What a great experience, bummer that you missed it thought!! I forget that they can do that now... Zak & Nate both were able to be in the circle for Simon being ordained a Teacher & Noah being ordained a Deacon - that was pretty special too. Of course I cried!!!

Candi said...

He did a great job! You couldn't even tell he was nervous. (at least I couldn't tell)

Gina said...

I agree with Candi! Troy looked like a pro up there. :-) Pretty neat that he was able to participate in such a wonderful event...

The McNeil Family said...

That is a wonderful thing! That stinks that you missed it, but i am sure he did awesome. It was nice to see you and talk.

The McNeil Family said...

here is my email address mmcneil2@cox.net...that's a 2 not a 12 in our address. people get that mixed up sometimes.

Karalee and Anthony said...

Wow, that is so neat that Troy did that. That's a really great opportunity for the Preists in your ward - great practice!

TheGefrom5 said...

Awww man! I can understand how you must have felt. That is really neat though that he could do that! Good for him!

Unknown said...

That is neat, and I would have been so sad if I'd missed it too!