Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Missionary Homecoming

 My second favorite Tongan elder returned home from his mission on Friday.  Sunday was his homecoming in Downey.  Boy I really wanted to go!  I had to BEG David to miss his own ward and go with me.  But I pulled out the big guns, begged & pleaded, batted my eyes and won!! We weren't sure we would be able to even make it until we got up and showered to see if we were well enough for the trip (after the flu episode mentioned in the previous post).  Although, I did have to leave to kids who apparently still need their mommy to rub their backs when they're kneeling over the toilet.  It was cute to see how they missed me and were a little bummed I left them.
 
Elder Michael and Troy were never companions, but they knew each other from being in the same mission, and knew that their moms talk to each other often.  Doesn't Elder Michael have the cutest smile?  He's so happy.  And he's such a good young man.  He would say, "Oh, I love your son.  He's so great - and funny."  And then would bust up laughing.  Interesting that that's what Troy's companion did while we were Skyping on Christmas Eve. Huh!  And while we were Skyping Troy & Elder Michael were together.  I had Troy hug Jacob and told Jacob I wanted that hug on Sunday :)  2nd hand hugs are almost as good, right??!! 
Jacob's homecoming talk was great!  But then again, I'm pretty biased.  He talked about the 6 months that he was on the poorest island, Nuia, (where Elder Groberg was) where there was no electricity or running water.  They ate coconuts and mangoes most days because the members had no food of their own to share.  It was a humbling experience for him for sure! We always wanted Troy to experience that island, but it wasn't meant to be.  Not that we're mean parents and want our child to starve, but because he is learning so much about being thankful for what he has and has had to become resourceful as well.
 
There was a wall hanging that the Tongan elders signed for Elder Michael's (Maikolo's) departure.  I immediately found Troy's message so had to take a picture.  (Troy's nickname is Elder Simba.) 

 
I am so glad that we were able to experience this extraordinary missionary's homecoming.  The disconcerting part was when Martha said that they hand the missionaries pills before they get on the plane and told them to take them to deworm.  GROSS!  She also said that there are a lot of things we didn't know.  I asked her if I wanted to know yet and she just said "no".  OKAY, well, guess that's best.  Three more months and I guess we'll find out.  Maybe we need to make that doctor appointment pretty soon, though.  I really am thankful for the opportunity that the young men and women of The Church get to sacrifice much to be taught, humbled, converted and serve our Heavenly Father in such a manner.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

So glad you were able to go! :)