Saturday, October 30, 2010

Time Out For Women

Last weekend some friends and I went to Las Vegas for Time Out for Women. We had such a fun time Friday night after the first event. We went to Caesar's Palace and walked around the shops, then down to a yummy ice cream place called Serendipity 3. We had no idea how huge the ice cream was going to be. Sandra and I ordered one to share, and Katie ordered one. We could have all shared one and still not finished it. That was dinner. I had a huge sugar rush after that!! Saturday night we went to Benihana's for dinner with one of Sandra's friends. We met people there that made it an interesting night. Have you ever played the 6 degrees game? Well, we all had connections on so many levels it was crazy. Sandra and her friend Krissy knew the same people as the chef and the lady in the picture below. Her husband was raised Mormon, his aunt works at the MTC, she grew up in SV and went to MV, and her husbands' parents live a mile away from Katie's parents in a po-dunk town in Arkansas. The guy sitting next to them had met Sandra at her previous job. How random can you get???? It made for interesting conversation, to say the least.My favorite speakers were Ardath Kapp, Mariama Kallon, John Bytheway and Kris Belcher. Their stories were amazing and it made me so appreciative of the life I've lead and made my problems all seem so insignificant. Mariama's story, especially. My favorite quote that she said about wondering why she never married or had children was that "we all can't have everything". I guess you can have a different perspective when you have seen your family tortured and just be glad you escaped and live a wonderful life in this country. So many of us take that for granted daily.
I will always treasure the time I had on my "time out" and am thankful that Katie invited me to tag along.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

How fun Dee Dee! Looks like a blast!

Rob n Katie' said...

The po-dunk town is called Bella Vista (SMILE). I'm so glad you went us too. It was fun.