Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My First Day of Seminary

Today I went to seminary for the first time ever. I never had the opportunity to go since I didn't grow up in the church. My kids still don't believe me when I say that I would have gone if I was supposed to. (A mom has to try, right?) I was excited to go until David woke me up as he was leaving for work. It was really early. The thought always comes to mind - "how does he do it every day?"
I went to the stake center today where Shari teaches. I knew my kids wouldn't want me in class where they are. I've always heard amazing things about how she teaches and gets through to the teens. She is amazing.
You are probably wondering why the heck I would even want to go to seminary. Well, I have been one of four people called to be a seminary teacher for the late start Mondays at the SV
bldg. Since I have never been in a seminary class, I thought that I should at least see how one is run. I will probably only have to teach 7 times in the school year. That still horrifies me. (My kids have already said they're not going on the days I teach. I really hope they don't mean it)

There are a few callings I said I would never want. Nursery, gospel doctrine, and seminary teacher. I said yes to this because I know that's what we're supposed to do, but the other two are completely OUT of the question. You know that game "Would you Rather"? Let's just leave it at that:)

I got some great ideas from Shari today. I am pretty confident I can fill about 20 minutes of time as I study the lessons. What the heck am I going to do with the other 30 minutes? Maybe take little carpets and a magic wand and let them have nap time like I remember having in Kindergarten. Food always works. Oh no, I'm in soooooooooo much trouble!

6 comments:

Prescott family said...

You'll do great! And I am sure the kids will love you & be nice to you(okay maybe not your kids... hee hee). Actually I'm sure your kids will too - they just can't act like it.

Candi said...

I hadn't heard about your new calling...congrats! :) :) I have always said that I would want to teach seminary either, but I actually think that I might like it...but I also said I would never say yes to RS presdient either and look at me know. I know you will do great job!!!

Rob n Katie' said...

You are going to be AWSOME!!!! It might not be very much fun at first, but you will be surprised how much you will learn while teaching them.

Bonnie and David said...

You are not in trouble! You are not the teacher, the spirit is the teacher. You will be just fine!!

Thanks for saying YES!!!

love you lots, Bonnie

Carranza's said...

You will do great I have faith in you , oh tony is the permanent Substitute for seminary and he has to sub in October. Heitje was glad it wasn't her class.

Sarah said...

You were a great YW teacher, and will be great in seminary too! You are right, food always works. My mom and step-dad will also be one of the late start seminary teachers.